This guide is developed for LANG 1002 students, to help you find and cite sources for your expository essay, in which you introduce a past game-changing idea and explain its impact.
- Why was it a game changer? (i.e., What did it change?)
- What were the conditions at the time which made it possible for it to succeed?
- Why has it had a lasting impact? (and not just a short-term impact?)
You must find and read, or listen to appropriate sources of information about your game changer.
- You must use information, correctly cited, from these sources to support your ideas.
- Each citation must be a paraphrase or a summary of the original source. Do not use direct quotations.
- At the end of your essay you should write a List of References / Bibliography. This is a list of all the sources which you cited in your essay.
Through searching and finding useful articles you will learn to:
- Understand the characteristics of three types of information sources: journals, magazines and news articles
- Analyze your research topic and information needs
- Choose appropriate search tools and how best to search them
- Develop efficient search strategies
- Evaluate information sources and choose articles based on reliability and suitability