Last Updated: Feb 2, 2012
- Science Citation Index Expanded (1975 - present): it fully indexes over 7,100 major journals across 150 scientific disciplines and includes all cited references captured from indexed articles.
- Social Sciences Citation Index (1975 - present): it fully indexes over 1,950 journals across 50 social sciences disciplines and includes all cited references captured from indexed articles.
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index- Science (1990 - present): it covers conference literature in all scientific and technical fields.
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index- Social Science & Humanities (1990 - present): it covers conference literature in all fields of social sciences, arts, and humanities.
- Select a timespan, the "year" refers to the year that the article information was entered in the database and not when the document was published.
- Choose the citation database(s).
- Lemmatization allows searching for a broader scope of functionality and includes synonyms, plurals and singulars.
- Select a search field (Topic, Title, Author, ResearcherID, Group Author, Publication Name, DOI, Year Published, Address and Conferences, etc.) from the drop-down list boxes.
- Use the drop-down menu to change the relationship between each search field to AND, OR or NOT.
- Enter search word(s) or phrase(s) in the query box.
- Click Search.
||Search Tips and Examples
||Words/Phrases appear in article titles, abstracts or keyword lists
||-Use quotation marks to look for an exact phrase
e.g., "global warming"
||Words/Phrases appear in article titles
||-Enter title word(s)/phrase(s)
e.g., "soil drainage"
||Author names or editor names
||-Enter last name first and followed by a space and up to five initials
-Use * [asterisk] if not sure of the initials
e.g., Herlert A*
-Use Author Finder to distinguish one author from another by field of research and/or institution
||Organizations or institutions credited with authorship
||-Click the Group Author Index icon to access a list of authors that you can add to your query
e.g., AMER ACAD FAMILY PHYSICIANS
||Series and journal titles
||-Enter full or partial publication name
e.g., Journal of Manage*
-Use Publication Name Index to access a list of titles
||Records published in a particular year
||-Enter a four-digit year or a range of years
||Author affiliations and addresses
||-Enter the institution and/or the department and/or place name (abbreviated words or phrases) from an author's address
e.g., Hong Kong Univ* Sci* Technol* and Biol*
||Funding acknowledgment table
||-Enter the name of a funding agency
e.g., National Agency for the Promotion of Science and Technology
||Grant number field in Funding acknowledgement table
-Enter a partical of full grant number, both right- and left-hand truncation using wildcards is allowed
-Enter the ResearcherID number
||Conference title, date, location and sponsor
-Enter the conference name, location and year, use 'AND' to connect the words
e.g Fiber Optics AND India AND 2000
Click Add Another Field link to include more search fields in your search.
||zero to many characters
||enzym* will find records containing enzyme, enzymes, enzymatic, enzymic
|? [question mark]
||wom?n will match woman and women
|$ [dollar sign]
||zero or one character
||flavo$r finds flavor and flavour
Both right- and left-hand truncation can be used.
||find records including both terms
||find records containing either one or both terms
||retrieve records with the first but not the second term
||retrieve records with two terms appearing in the same sentence
||find records containing search terms that are within number of words of each other, x should be numeric value
- Use 2-character tags and boolean operators, to create your statement query.
- e.g., TI=(sanit* AND (fruit* OR vegetable*))
- To restrict your search, select one or more languages and/or document types.